Monday 9 May 2016

TurboLand


When a deck name contains the word “turbo”, what sort of expectations do you have for it? To me, it means that the deck does something fast. Therefore, when I think of Turbo _____, my expectation is usually of a deck that is capable of winning quickly. So if you’re like me.. prepare to be disappointed by today’s brew. Don’t let the name fool you, it can be a very slow and control-y path to victory with this one. I am of course talking about TurboLand.

So how does it work? The general breakdown is that you want to get Exploration and Horn of Greed into play. Together, these combine for some serious ramp and serious card advantage. So how is a deck that combines both of those things so slow? The win conditions! Allow me to elaborate..

Despite containing the best manland ever made in Mishra’s Factory, it is not the biggest of beaters. What it does do however is tap for mana, avoid sweepers and pump itself and its fellow Factory Workers. These, along with Treetop Village and Faerie Conclave, are the vast majority of ‘creatures’ in the deck. There is one exception of course, the lone Multani, Maro-Sorcerer, which I included because it is a big beater with Shroud. Whether or not you want to play any is entirely on you.

Another sort of unsung win condition of TurboLand is Time Warp. The card is amazing when combined with the mana acceleration and card advantage of the deck, as both allow you to draw into and play Warps in the early stages of the game. Not only does this allow you to play even more lands and draw even more cards, but it provides you with additional opportunities to beat down on your opponent.

Crop Rotation is another 1-of in the deck, but I sort of wanted to play more of them. Obviously I decided not to eventually, but Crop is really great because it acts as a sort of double for any of your lands. The reason I decided against additional copies is because the deck just doesn’t contain that many toolbox lands. I had also considered replacing it with a Living Wish and putting Tabernacle and/or Karakas in the sideboard, but that is just a bit too slow versus the decks you want those cards against - especially Tabernacle.

Alright, so that about covers the deck right? What? It doesn’t? Oh, you want to know about THAT.. I know I know, Portent over Brainstorm seems strange. Surely this must be some sort of joke! Honestly, I know how weird it looks but the thing is, TurboLand does not contain any fetch lands; and without them Brainstorm can really hinder you. The fact of the matter is, even though Portent is a slowtrip, the deck already draws you a ton of cards so it doesn’t really matter. I recommend you try it out and see what slow/cantrip suits you.

Lastly, I want to talk about some cards I didn’t include in the deck. One of these cards was Summer Bloom. The reason I didn’t is actually quite simple – I needed to cut down on cards and it was a 1-of. Greener Pastures also got cut early on, but if you are going for a more control-y type of build then it might have some potential and could be worth looking into. Happy Brewing!


TurboLand

Land

1 Forest
1 Island
4 Tropical Island
4 Mishra’s Factory
4 Treetop Village
3 Faerie Conclave
4 Maze of Ith
4 Wasteland
4 Rishadan Port
1 Petrified Field
1 The Tabernacle at Pendrell Vale
1 Karakas

Total: 32

Creatures

1 Multani, Maro-Sorcerer

Total: 1

Spells:

4 Exploration
4 Horn of Greed
4 Portent
4 Force of Will
2 Daze
3 Counterspell
4 Time Warp
1 Crop Rotation
1 Nostalgic Dreams

Total: 27

Sideboard

4 Tormod’s Crypt
4 Naturalize
2 Elephant Grass
2 Evacuation
2 Zuran Orb
1 Gaea’s Blessing

No comments:

Post a Comment